Paypal SUCKS

Paypal, Venmo, Transferwise, Applepay, Googlepay Discuss secure commerce services
Horned Toad

Paypal SUCKS

Post by Horned Toad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:37 pm

This is probably a good way to start this category, Paypal sucks, really sucks. At this point I mostly refuse to use it. Has anyone suggestions of good alternatives?

Jazz Paladin

Re: Paypal SUCKS

Post by Jazz Paladin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:19 pm

I'd say money transfer, but being that I live in Canada and not the US anymore, it isn't easy (read:impossible) to find banks that will let me wire or receive money from an international bank.

One possible alternative though is to list items on Reverb. Please correct me if I am wrong, since I only have one transaction done there, and that was just a few weeks ago. I had to pay for a Martin alto there, and I could still pay via credit card without using paypal and I still have the benefit of a type of Buyer Protection.

Granted, there are fees involved, of course. Consequently one may have to mark up the price.

Using the "Friends and Family" option for people would "seem" most economically viable were it not for the fact that you sadly negate the ability to have any form of buyer protection since you are trying to sidestep transactions as "sales". So I wouldn't easily recommend that as an option.
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:55 pm

It's not just buyer protection lost with friends and family. For sellers it is also treacherous as any buyer can do a chargeback by simply making a claim of "unauthorized charges" and that money will be suddenly gone with no recourse.

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Horned Toad wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:55 pm
It's not just buyer protection lost with friends and family. For sellers it is also treacherous as any buyer can do a chargeback by simply making a claim of "unauthorized charges" and that money will be suddenly gone with no recourse.
Yeah, I was thinking that last week when doing a large transaction via PayPal for such a purchase. Risky business either way.

However, after a major incident with eBay over the summer , I refuse to use that platform either these days. Do not trust their global shipping program, they will exploit it to confiscate items and mark them up if they can profit from it. I bought a horn at what I thought was a steal, and they took it at their warehouse , said they couldn’t ship it internationally, and then marked the horn up 1000 bucks
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

saxcop

Post by saxcop » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 am

When I sell something to someone that I'm not familiar with they have the choice of cash in person, Paypal F&F, or Reverb where they pay the fees.
The Paypal does not protect sellers. The item as not as described claim can't be defended against. Also this can be claimed for 180 days. Imagine selling a expensive horn and 5 months later the claim being filed. Now I know there may be strategies to defeat PP being able to force the refund. However who wants to do business with that system.

Reverb has its own issues. However its mostly pretty easy to contact someone. If a seller decides to be really uncooperative you really have to be persistent in forcing Reverb to act, but they will.

The main benefits of selling something on Reverb, if the buyer needs the protection of a third party, is for fraud protection. If you are selling online this is a concern. Also the limit of a 7 day return policy for item not as described.

Tranechaser

Post by Tranechaser » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:24 am

You just have to be careful on reverb that the buyer uses the reverb payment system and not PayPal. If they use PayPal for the purchase on reverb, the can still take advantage of the 180 day protection regardless of how Reverb rules in the dispute.

I’m getting to the point that if someone shows up in person with cash in hand, they are going to get a significant discount if they ask for one. It’s worth it to not have to deal with PayPal and/or shipping companies.

Return to “Money Transfer Services”