Committee saxes and Dick Stabile stencils

Jazz Paladin

Committee saxes and Dick Stabile stencils

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

How many peeps here have tried the old committee line of saxes or their stencils?

I have had a Dick Stabile tenor and a searchlight / committee 1 alto for a year or so now, which I researched a bit looking for saxes with a dark sound , and while I was initially disappointed that they were not as dark as (or darker than ) my Mauriat 66 and 67 (which are the darkest horns I have tried) , I have to say that I have grown into the horns and find that I like their sound much better than most modern or vintage horns I have tried.

Granted, it comes without saying that the c# and g# do not feel as seamless for rapid playing as modern keywork, but I may just take advantage of some of the techs that claim to be able to modernize those table keys a bit. The tone is really just gorgeous and does not feel so “dead perfect” in intonation that it feels soulless , but is still in tune with a core that is quite lush. And despite the c# and g# they are still quite responsive and fast...

I was just talking on a Martin Facebook page that part of the reason for this different sound has to do with smaller tone holes — which Is a subject I had never come across. Can anyone speak to this at all? I do know that most modern saxes are modeled after a certain French vintage to a degree, but I am curious if the main reason I cannot seem to find a modern sax with this type of sound can indeed be attributed to the tone hole size as opposed to other factors...
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Return to “Martin”