Change in season = change in reeds?

Ving

Change in season = change in reeds?

Post by Ving » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am

Anyone here change reeds seasonally? Do you find you need to adjust strength or brand/cut based on the weather of the season? I live in the upper Midwest, and have been beguiled by the difference in humidity levels from summer to winter for years. I find now it’s just easier to switch the reeds I’m playing on and ligature as well when the weather dries out and gets cold. I just did this and my sanity has been restored (for now). The reeds I had dialed in that were working just tanked out when it got cold and dry in the last few weeks.

Jazz Paladin

Re: Change in season = change in reeds?

Post by Jazz Paladin » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:02 pm

I used to do that in Rainy WA between our wet and dry season, but this was mostly for the winter months . I thankfully haven’t had to deal with this much , as even though I swore I would never use those plasticky type of synth reeds, I was shocked maybe 20 years ago finding Hahn synthetics (and now Fiberreeds) and had to eat crow when I realized that I may never have to use cane again. So I have thankfully blessed with good synth reeds that actually vibrate and give me the consistency to know exactly what I will sound like whenever I pull my horns out
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

La Chèvre

Post by La Chèvre » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:52 pm

Hello, yes I have to do this between summer and winter here in France (Sout-West), especially with soprano reeds.

Ving

Post by Ving » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

I used to play on mpcs that were not very reed friendly either, and the reed changes would make them quite frustrating to play. The mpcs I have now have more stabile facings I can better gauge what reeds will work the best.

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:12 pm

This is so true. Reeds can be so depressing and life altering.

Return to “Reed Discussion”