Why the need to reface well known mouthpieces

Compare Contrast Discuss
saxcop

Why the need to reface well known mouthpieces

Post by saxcop » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:11 pm

I see mouthpieces made by popular makers being sold as having had a reface all the time. I'm not talking about mass produced big company models. I would say the most common one I see is the Phil Barone. Can it really be called a Barone if its been refaced? Why do you think these pieces need refacing? I suspect they probably didn't really need it. How much does the facing have to do in making a piece what it is?

Jazz Paladin

Re: Why the need to reface well known mouthpieces

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:52 pm

I have never played one of the older Barone models that needed a reface, but many of his newer pieces were sadly unfinished , and he must have been in a hurry to get out of working with metal pieces with the sales prices he offered .

As an example , a lot of his unengraved pieces are bad on the table, and I had my tech confirm that the measurements on such an unengraved SNY MpC from his last mouthpiece batch were way off all over the place , and the reed would not seal, leading to a raspy airy sound and an ineffective air stream. I have many other Barone pieces, including SNY’s an they do not have this issue.

I have also confirmed with several other people who got mouthpieces from him in his last batches got lemons as well, fwiw
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Return to “Mouthpieces”