Monday night at Vanguard, for dummies

Share and discuss performance, jam, and gig venues anywhere
fudidudi

Monday night at Vanguard, for dummies

Post by fudidudi » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi all, as a relative newcomer to the live music scene in NYC, I would really like some pointers in general for a brief stay in the city later this year. Specifically, looking at the Village Vanguard for their Monday night shows with the Jazz Orchestra, I see they have two “shows” those nights. Are these repeated shows, or sets? I.e. is it a thing to make an all nighter out of it with both sets, or is that worth it only for someone with the buzz of the century and/or an awe-inspiringly goldfish-like short term memory? 8-)

Reeddoubler

Re: Monday night at Vanguard, for dummies

Post by Reeddoubler » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm

They play different material at each set, years ago they’d let you stay for the second set (which was usually scarcely attended) without paying an additional cover. Those days are gone.

Reeddoubler

Post by Reeddoubler » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:08 pm

In the early 80’s, when I was on Buddy Rich’s band, we’d often get back from hit and runs out of Manhattan in time to rush down and catch Mel Lewis’s second set on Monday nights. We had enough friends in the band that they would always get us in free for the second set, so if we got there early we’d stand in the stairwell and wait till the first set was over. One night, standing there we heard a trumpet soloist that didn’t sound like any of the trumpet players we knew. When we peaked into the room, Miles Davis was soloing, playing a few choruses on each guy’s trumpet! Needless to say, we sprung for the cover and went in. One of the trumpet players in the band, John Marshall, later told us the story of Miles sitting in. Remember, this was during the period that Miles hadn’t been playing, was sort of retired. Apparently Miles had been coming in often on Monday nights, and John had always stopped by his table to ask if he wanted to play, and finally, after being turned down consistently, Miles said yes. John said he immediately went to Mel, to get the band back up so Miles could play. Mel, ever the showman, said he wanted to go up and play a couple tunes, and then call Miles up! John insisted, no, Miles wants to play right now, and John prevailed!

Tranechaser

Post by Tranechaser » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am

That’s an awesome story about Miles!

I only heard the Monday night band once and they were incredible.

Return to “Performance Venues”