Shockingly overpriced relac MK VI tenor (auction)

Random, weird, questionable, fake, amazing listings up for discussion and debate; Ebay, Craigslist, Reverb etc.
Horned Toad

Shockingly overpriced relac MK VI tenor (auction)

Post by Horned Toad » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:01 pm

This is why I sometimes feel bad for Ebay users. We see these strange listings with people paying huge amounts of money for horns as if they were original with people fighting over them. In this case if it is not just shill bidding then the membership simply does not understand that all is not as it appears. This horn appears to me very obviously a (pretty aggressive) re-cut engraving and likely relacquer. No Selmer MK VI of this period that I am aware of has ever had engraving like that. Generally the engraving on these 80k-100k MK VI's is originally fairly light and still has a thin top coat of lacquer on top of it. In this case you can still see bits of the previous pattern underneath, but hey, $13k go for it! :?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/95xxx-Original ... 3439308932
Attachments
s-l1600-4.jpg

Tranechaser

Re: Shockingly overpriced relac MK VI tenor (auction)

Post by Tranechaser » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 am

Some of us were following that horn as well and concluded that it’s definitely been re-engraved. I have a 93K and my friend has a 95K that are both in great condition, so we have a point of reference for comparison on the engraving. It doesn’t help that the seller only has rugs for sale other than the horn and doesn’t appear to have ever sold any saxophone stuff.

Here’s a link to pics of my friends original 95K. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... X86fpcCfFU

As for the price, that has to be some shill bidding or something. No way it’s a legit sale for $13.5K. Well, maybe it is, but everything seems a little off with that auction.

jwsax.com

Post by jwsax.com » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:28 am

When I saw this listing that first picture gave me an instant gut feel that something was wrong about this horn. It seems a stupid price to pay , especially without the original accoutrements

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 am

Tranechaser wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 am
I have a 93K and my friend has a 95K that are both in great condition, so we have a point of reference for comparison on the engraving...Here’s a link to pics of my friends original 95K.

Yeah your friends 95k is a fine example of the lighter engraving on these I was talking about.

To be clear, I am not saying that the price is shocking on it's own. If this horn were original and in really nice condition it could sell for more. It's just, $13500 for a relac recut?? Yeah something was definitely off.

Nefertiti

Post by Nefertiti » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:50 am

Tranechaser wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 am
Some of us were following that horn as well and concluded that it’s definitely been re-engraved. I have a 93K and my friend has a 95K that are both in great condition, so we have a point of reference for comparison on the engraving. It doesn’t help that the seller only has rugs for sale other than the horn and doesn’t appear to have ever sold any saxophone stuff.

Here’s a link to pics of my friends original 95K. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... X86fpcCfFU

As for the price, that has to be some shill bidding or something. No way it’s a legit sale for $13.5K. Well, maybe it is, but everything seems a little off with that auction.
Wasn't there a person selling the fake Otto Links on Ebay someone that sells rugs also? I thought I read that somewhere..........
https://www.neffmusic.com/blog/
Over 600+ Saxophone & Jazz Improv Lessons
Books on Jazz Improvisation
#1 Sax Mouthpiece Review Site in the World

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:12 am

Yes, rugs, but I am not sure this is the same seller. Also, this is not the first time this horn has been on Ebay, maube not even the second or third. I wonder whether the item actually exists.

Return to “For Sale Listings Discussion (not yours)”