Reverb Seller Fee Increase, beginning of the end

Random, weird, questionable, fake, amazing listings up for discussion and debate; Ebay, Craigslist, Reverb etc.
Horned Toad

Reverb Seller Fee Increase, beginning of the end

Post by Horned Toad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:41 am

I was never a huge fan of this site but it was a good alternative to shitbay. Now it seems like all the rest their judgement is clouded by greed, betraying the audience they serve. if their current fees allowed them to grow so much, then they have no great need to increase them, as they could just continue to grow at the current rate without screwing everyone over. But no, they simply must have more, and must get richer at all costs even if it kills their business entirely, which in the long run it really will. Here is the email I received from Reverb:

To Our Community,

I’m writing to share upcoming changes that will enable us to significantly grow our marketplace so that we can help you reach even more buyers all over the world. Beginning on August 4, 2020, we are increasing our selling fee for the first time ever⁠— from 3.5 % to 5%.

When Reverb launched in 2013, the idea was simple—an online marketplace built specifically for the musical instrument community by a team of musicians. Our team thought about everything that we, as music makers, wanted in a site for selling gear and put it into Reverb: A live support team staffed with musicians, tailored tools to make things like price negotiation easier, a personalizable feed and useful content to help buyers find exactly what they want, and more.

Today, Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling musical instruments. In the past year alone, our community has achieved tremendous growth. More consumers are buying instruments than ever before, and players of all levels increasingly are buying gear online. As more buyers move online, we’ve heard you loud and clear: You want more support and more tools to help you get your gear in front of Reverb’s expanding audience of high-quality buyers and grow your sales.

We take the role that we play in supporting your business very seriously. Over the past seven years, our team has worked tirelessly to improve our marketplace to support your business and to find new ways to help you grow your sales. Now is the time to deepen our commitment to these efforts. We are modifying our selling fee to help us invest more to sustain our community’s continued growth. This year alone, we plan to increase our investment from 2019 by:
Investing over 30% more in marketing initiatives—including SEO, online video advertising, and other digital advertising—to get your inventory in front of more buyers from around the world.
Expanding by more than 25% the capacity of our global customer support team focused on assisting you and your buyers as we grow.
Increasing by more than 40% the capacity of our product team focused on creating and enhancing seller tools and services to increase the visibility of your shop and inventory.
Our team comes to work each day to ensure the success of our sellers—our marketplace simply doesn’t exist without the independent shops, makers, artists, experts, and individuals that form our vibrant seller community. These changes will enable us to bring more buyers to Reverb on your behalf, support the long-term health of your online business, and continue growing together.

Sincerely,
David Mandelbrot
CEO, Reverb

Jazz Paladin

Re: Reverb Seller Fee Increase, beginning of the end

Post by Jazz Paladin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 am

I doubt so many people flooded their customer service wanting more “support”. This puts the total fees involved comparable to the hit you take from eBay and PayPal. Pure cash grab.

I will just buy local or via a reputable shop’s website. No sweat off my back
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Jazz Paladin wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:48 am
I doubt so many people flooded their customer service wanting more “support”. This puts the total fees involved comparable to the hit you take from eBay and PayPal. Pure cash grab.

I will just buy local or via a reputable shop’s website. No sweat off my back
Agreed, just shameless take in process. Just another useless corporate bullshit parade. I wont be paying them anything but I will allow them to provide free advertising to me out of the goodness of my heart.

Braymond21

Post by Braymond21 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:34 pm

That rate is still lower than eBay's 13% or so. Since it's 10% to eBay and 3% to PayPal to withdraw money through them and no alternative to PayPal last time I checked. It is more than just using PayPal buyer protection alone which is unfortunate but still quite a bit lower than eBay.

saxcop

Post by saxcop » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 pm

The good things about Reverb are that there is a 7 day period where the buyer can file for a refund. Ebay is 180 days for a claim as item not as described. Reverb has protection against credit card fraud for the seller. I'm not happy about the increase. However I have found them great to deal with on a problem. I think they did sell out to a big company a bit ago. I prefer it to Ebay. I will never sell on the bay. I will pass on the increase to the buyer.

Tranechaser

Post by Tranechaser » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:18 pm

So increased fee.....plus tax! Now more than ever we need a good forum where we can buy and sell used saxophone gear. I really hope this site takes off!

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:11 pm

You know what? You get screwed no matter how you do things online...you can't avoid mega corps like Ebay getting your money...

Take a look into Reverb.

Reverb is owned by Etsy.

But Etsy is owned by Ebay.

Do yourselves a favor and others a favor by buying and selling locally, via a private forum, or a reputable dealer. I am so tired of the monopolistic nature of big companies.

With that being said, if anyone needs a Martin alto , Dick Stabile tenor, or Barone saxello , hit me up , I am open to offers or trades.
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Return to “For Sale Listings Discussion (not yours)”