So what are your favorite microphones?

Jazz Paladin

So what are your favorite microphones?

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 am

I am not too sure how many of you dabble in studio recording at all, but I am wondering if you all have any favorite mics for sax?

I am guessing that most people are probably familiar with the Shure SM57 or 58 for live work, which incidentally can be great with studio work.

But what else do you all like?

My personal favorite is from a lesser-known boutique mic manufacturer , the Beesneez Judas Tube Ribbon. Big beefy ribbon sound, but has a bit more high end tizzle to it to give a nice bit of air.

I am also a big fan of ribbons in general. I previously used an AEA R84 , which is a great mic as well, but prefer the Beesneez for the extra bit of character it adds.

Also love the Beyer M130 for soprano , and the M160 as well for something things when I want a bit more edge to my sound. And the M130 is probably the only mic I've ever been blown away with for bass clarinet...
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/jazzpaladinVGM/

Horned Toad

Re: So what are your favorite microphones?

Post by Horned Toad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Actually I am rebuilding a new recording setup and have been researching this lately. I actually considered Beesneez for for the BU47 (Neumann U47 replica) but I simply cannot find any sound clips of it or any real assurance of what it will sound like. I actually bought a Golden Age GA47 (U47 clone) recently based on sound comparisons. I had very high hopes for that but in actuality it had just no high end much at all. On one of my old recordings in the studio I used a Lawson L47 which sounded amazing so I may get one of those, they are just a bit more expensive.

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 am

Horned Toad wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm
Actually I am rebuilding a new recording setup and have been researching this lately. I actually considered Beesneez for for the BU47 (Neumann U47 replica) but I simply cannot find any sound clips of it or any real assurance of what it will sound like. I actually bought a Golden Age GA47 (U47 clone) recently based on sound comparisons. I had very high hopes for that but in actuality it had just no high end much at all. On one of my old recordings in the studio I used a Lawson L47 which sounded amazing so I may get one of those, they are just a bit more expensive.
I had a friend get a BU47 this summer, I can ask him about the high end. I almost got one as well and would have if I hadn’t had a tenor stolen back then as well.

Though I generally find the whole “high end” thing to be a bit overrated these days, with some exceptions. It is amazing how much you can add to that sense of highs with just a low cut filter and a little bit of high shelf EQ, even when using ribbon mics and their typical high rolloff if you do things right.

Small diaphragm mics don’t get a lot of hype compared to LDCs for saxes these days, but if you like high end and stunning clarity, the Beesneez Lulu (KM 84 clone) really is superlative in that department— totally warm and musical and doesn’t get brittle at all like a lot of other SDCs. One of the few mics I would ever trust with soprano, to tell the truth, that instrument can be totally nasal with the wrong mics, especially condensers
Jazz Paladin. Maker of jazzy video game cover songs. Check out Jazz Paladin VGM covers on FB, Spotify, and more.

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Regarding BU47 , my friend says

“Mine would be considered in the bright category, but not usually too much. It shines on several male vocalists I’ve recorded, but not every one. A male tenor singer I had in a few weeks ago... ugh. Way too bright. My AT4060 was much better. A vocalist that is edgy, real nasal, or bright might be an issue with it. I’m not thinking sax would work great with it, but I’m not sure. I’m still learning it. Out of my 4 main tube vocal mics, it’s number 2 on the bright list. My C12 clone is obviously number 1. The BU47 is my goto male lead vocal mic... but depends on the voice. It needs to have a baritone character.”

Ben himself says it is great on tenor FWIW, and given he is a tenor player, I take him at his word there, he knows his stuff

Horned Toad

Post by Horned Toad » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Jazz Paladin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Ben himself says it is great on tenor FWIW, and given he is a tenor player, I take him at his word there, he knows his stuff
Are you saying Ben Sneezby is a tenor player?

At the moment I am not really feeling so brave for another site unseen microphone purchase. The reason I plan to go for a Lawson is that I have already used it and understand the sound palette.

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Horned Toad wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Jazz Paladin wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:13 pm
Are you saying Ben Sneezby is a tenor player?

At the moment I am not really feeling so brave for another site unseen mouthpiece purchase. The reason I plan to go for a Lawson is that I have already used it and understand the sound palette.

Yes, Ben Sneesby is a tenor player, we’ve talked about it a bit over the past 10 years or so. You can often see his tenor in his mic videos lying on a stand in the background as well. And to be honest , his mics ended my search for the “perfect sax mic” a number of years ago, after spending a lot of time buying and selling many mics trying to find one I pair well with. So he is definitely a very serious (and sadly often overlooked) contender in the mic world.

If you want I can try sending some files comparing the lulu to maybe the Judas tube and also a special Lily tube he made for me a few years ago.

Also, keep an eye on his Fb page, sometimes he is willing to trade good mics for a good sax.

Jazz Paladin

Post by Jazz Paladin » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:33 pm

Here is most of my Beesneez collection. Each of them are fantastic, some more so than others, but my absolute favorite is the smaller gold one , the Judas Tube Ribbon. I got lazy one time and decided not to switch to another mic for recording percussion after doing sax, and ended up loving the sound so much I did an entire CD where everything was done just on that mic. Beautiful, warm, and all the tracks end up playing nice with each other but still manage to stand out individually, rather paradoxically.
Attachments
9F5D40CF-773A-40C0-A85C-D7D3124EE131.jpeg

Return to “Microphones & Preamps”